Go To the Planning and Development Home page
Search this site...
Main Page

Applications, Forms & Documents

Boards, Commissions & Committees

Code Enforcement

Environmental Documents on Active Projects

Permit Information

Projects & Programs


Building & Safety

Energy, Minerals & Compliance

Long Range Planning

Report a Zoning Violation

Report a Building/Zoning Code Violation

    Planning & Development is responsible for enforcing the County’s ordinances to ensure that all structures and uses comply with the applicable standards and permit requirements adopted by the Board of Supervisors that are intended to maintain public health, safety and welfare, while protecting community values and natural resources.

    The code enforcement program is reactive (complaint driven) with the Building and Safety division responding to each complaint. Planning and Development requires the reporting party provide their name and a contact phone number; this information will be kept confidential. However, should this complaint become part of a criminal and/or civil court case, the information may be provided to the District Attorney or any such other appropriate authority as part of their investigation.

    Complaints may be submitted by phone, online, or in person. Please note that any documentation or photographs submitted with a violation complaint or used to validate a violation complaint must be obtained in a manner consistent with all laws regarding trespass, privacy and property rights. Planning & Development cannot accept complaints were it is evident that knowledge or documentation of the violation was illegally obtained.

    Submit by Phone (Enforcement Hotline)

      North County (805) 934-6251
      South County (805) 568-3558

    Submit Online

      Reporting Party Information

      Email Address:

      Complaint Details

      Violation Address / Location
      Property Owner's Name:
      Property Owner's Phone:
      Property Owner's Mailing Address:
      Alleged Violation / Brief Description:  


      I would like to be contacted to discuss the violation complaint or receive an update.
      Please contact me only if additional information on the complaint is required.


      To attach pictures or other supporting documentation to this online complaint, please click submit above, then send a separate e-mail to: pad@countyofsb.org with the following subject line: Violation at [insert violation address/location].

    Submit in Person

  Send us your questions or comments. Submit a customer satisfaction survey.